Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Books That Even A Movie Snob Can Love

True, I may spend every waking moment of my life in passionate dedication to the movies. I may have more movies on my Netflix queue than there are books in the library. And yes, the thought of entering the movie section at Barnes and Nobel with a gift card in hand is almost too pleasurable for me to physically handle. However, I am not completely illiterate. In fact, I enjoy a good book just as much as the next self-proclaimed intellectual. So without further ado, here is a list of the books that I would read even on the opening night of a Tarantino movie.*

No, this one isn't on the list just to confirm that I am, in fact, an intellectual. Through its philosophy of the weightlessness of life, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera examines the fleeting artistry of politics, love, death, women, men, and above all, thought in a way that only an intellectual could appreciate.

Chocolate and Sandra Boynton. Need I say more?


I can think of no one who paints a better picture with words than my author friend, Judy Sutcliffe. "A Collection of Old Men" is a series of exquisite portraits of elderly gentlemen who entered her life at one point or another. It is modestly beautiful and refreshingly personal.

I'm not going to lie. I don't understand a word that ever dripped out of James Joyce's pen. Example: He gnawed on the recititude of his life; he felt that he had been outcast from life's feast.

But how can you not love that?

Yes. It is a dead-serious book on gnomes. Written by Wil Huygen, "Gnomes" is as interesting as it is irrelevant.

I can think of at least fifty authors whose way with words I dearly long to posses. Dean Bakopoulos is among them; but unlike Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, and Shakespeare, Bakopoulos, who is a professor at Iowa State University, will inspire you to try. His book, "Please Don't Come Back from the Moon" is delicately surreal as it makes a point about our desire to fill in the blanks of life and society by replacing the absent and becoming absent ourselves, in return.

"A Confederacy of Dunces" is the darkest brand of comedy around. It is grotesquely, royally, bitingly, funny with dialogue the likes of which could only be found in a book.

Yes, I know it's on every ladies' book club reading list in the country, but "Like Water For Chocolate" is just about as sensual an allegory as you are likely to find. Dinner will never taste the same again.

The Mistress of Murder- The Dame of Death... I am an absolute sucker for anything Agatha Christie. It's the murder mystery genre the way it should be done... a deadly concoction of rapier-like wit, acute knowledge of human nature, and logic so airtight it just might take your breath away.

Bad pun intended.


*While waiting in line at the theater, of course.

17 comments:

  1. I was going to ask if your name was from A Confederacy of Dunces! My valve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list. I absolutely love Confederacy of Dunces, also.

    I gotta get that gnomes book. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the elite intellectuals are discussing gnomes these days

    ReplyDelete
  4. The library in the town I grew up in was about 100 years old, with the sagging upper floor to prove it. While waiting for my dad, I would sit in a quite back corner and read random books off the shelves. Considering my favorite corner was in the reference section, I have accumulated a life time of bits and bobs of knowledge that are at best party tricks, but usually useless. The library did, however, have the very same "Gnomes" book in their reference section and I blame it's illustrations for encouraging me to pursue a career in art. I am glad to find that I, and the librarian with an obvious sense of whimsy, are not the only two people in the world to have come across this book.

    Also, thank you for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terra- what they don't want you to know is that most of them ARE gnomes.

    M.A- In the town that I grew up in, the library was in an old brick building and was chock full of intriguing old books. Then they moved to a big, contemporary building in the middle of a corn field and exchanged the old classics for a bunch of shiny, new paperback romances. "Gnomes", however, was one of the few to survive the move and many drizzly afternoons would find me curled up in the genealogy room amongst piles of old newspapers, peering into the fanciful world of the little Scandinavian creatures. I am equally glad to find that I am not the only person in the world who has come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books. I read hundreds a year, no joke. I prefer to read rather than watch movies (though I like movies too), but I haven't read any of these. I'm a genre reader so my reading doesn't give me any intellectual cool points apparently. Give me a book with a sword and a horse on the cover and I'm set for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A- You are my hero! I am an impatient, slow reader, so I probably start reading hundreds of books a year, but I only make it through a fraction of them.
    Anyone who reads anything gets intellectual cool points as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought the Gnomes book at a second-hand store in New Hampshire, and I can say for certain that it's engrossing and adorable. I wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. james joyce is where it's at. the irish whiskey in the background is a nice touch, hahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. N.M. I am astonished at the number of people reading this who have actually heard of/read the gnomes book. Perhaps Terra is right.

    R- You've got to give credit where it's due :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chocolate book looks good enough to eat. Wait... maybe that was the chocolate chips that I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is the new gnome movie from the book?
    i've read some of them, but definitely will put confederacy at the top of my list. btw, nice touch with the darwin farce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had to google that gnome movie. I had never heard of it.
    You have no idea how much I enjoy my Darwin monkey! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I know why you have a love for gnomes . How many do you have??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tim- Counting the ones you gave me, I have around four or five... and I love them all!!!

    ReplyDelete