Monday, November 29, 2010

A Recipe for Transcendence


Food has always been a metaphorical ambassador of indulgence. We eat to nourish ourselves. We also eat to pleasure ourselves. It’s no wonder that fasting has long been a symbolic action of purity and sacrifice, for what could be more selfless than the personal depravation of something so physically fulfilling?

Such is the conviction of sisters Philippa (Bodil Jjer) and Martine (Birgitte Federspiel), two women living in a quaint, if barren, hamlet in 19th century costal Denmark in the Danish film, “Babette’s Feast”. Their father was the leader of a tiny but strictly pious Christian sect, a position which his daughters resumed after his death. During their salad days, the sisters were the belles of the county, but were unable to pursue youthful desires because of their rigid upbringing. Now, they and their snowy-haired parishioners meet regularly in the sisters’ chilly, grey cottage and eat chilly, grey food. But after many long years of devotion, the crotchetiness that comes with time and boredom begins to set in and the group can be felt pulling apart.

Queue the arrival of a mysterious French refugee named Babette (Stephane Audran) whom the sisters take in as a housekeeper. When Babette wins ten thousand francs in the French lottery, she wishes to repay Philippa and Martine for their kindness by cooking the small congregation a lavish French meal. Unable to refuse Babette’s generosity yet unwilling to take part in such a decadent affair, the religious group opts to eat- but not enjoy- the feast.

And it is in this quiet revelry of sorts that the feasters begin to question the virtue of self-depravation. It is because of devout selflessness that the sisters once betrayed their chance at love, a decision that appeared to be healthy for their spirituality and bitter for their humanity. But somewhere between the buckwheat cakes with caviar and the velvety turtle soup do they find that the greatest revival of spirituality can only be achieved by embracing our humanity and sharing the pleasures of life with others; for tucked within the simple joy of a meal is a universe of gratification that transcends body and soul. Just what the doctor ordered for the austere worshipers.

It is an exquisite little story that melts slowly away like the layers of a buttery croissant to reveal a meeting of spirituality and mortality. The feast its self takes up a deliciously significant portion of the movie and is executed with very little dialogue; yet, as if by magic, we can see the straight-laced gathering begin to soften, the colors on screen become more vibrant, we can almost taste the wine and smell the quail for this is the feast to end all feasts. This is the transmission of delight from human to human, from food to eater, from movie to audience.

“Babette’s Feast” is an utterly fulfilling banquet of a film. Witty, delicate, and charming, it gratifies in the same way that the feast does. Like a secret ingredient that pulls a dish together, the discretion and grace of “Babette’s Feast” leave you with a warm aftertaste. It is by all means a feel-good movie but then again, that’s the point.

*For all you die-hard "Babette's Feast" fans out there, I apologize for the murky picture quality and feel that I must clarify; "Babette" is spelled with only one "B".

13 comments:

  1. I often run things through spell check before I write stuff on my art. Sometimes I am too impatient, but I understand the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds appetizing. I have always thought food an integral part of our lives, not just because we need it for survival, but that it can be so beautiful, like art.

    I like the image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M.A. I really don't know what got into my pen there. "Babette's Feast" is one of my favorite movies and I do know how to spell the title. I guess I was in a hurry and we all know that haste makes waste.
    T. I think that's a great point about being human. We eat to nourish more than our body and in doing so can really appreciate the beauty of food and work to develop that which fulfills our needs both physical and aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murky is a delightful word, considering its negative connotation. You know, I don't think I would have necessarily wanted to watch this movie if Netflix had suggested it to me - and not just because I no longer trust Netflix's judgement after what it did to me that one time (which is a story for another day) - but your description has me intrigued. And hungry. Also, I am jealous of your ability to have misspelled the title of the movie in your illustration, leave it there, and still be able to go on with your day like a normal human being without your left eyebrow twitching. I am going to assume this is a trait that comes along with artistic ability (something I do NOT possess). Anyway, I'm going to give myself the award for the longest, most pointless comment right now. I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I have rated so many movies on Netflix, it has narrowed my preferred genres down to things like "campy cerebral Russian opposites-attract horror films from the 1970s" and "quirky musical biopics with strong female leads staring Sean Penn". I would love to hear your Netflix horror story.
    It certainly isn't a movie you should see on an empty stomach so don't skip the popcorn.
    After banging my head against the wall and searching for six hours for the whiteout, I finally got lazy and just left it as is. It's still bugging me (not that I'd tell anyone that, being the exceptionally cool, artistic person that I am).
    I believe I just stole your title for the longest most pointless comment. *demonic laughter*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suffice it to say, no matter how many times Netflix INSISTS that you will LOVE "Dear Zachary" because you loved something else, do NOT watch it, because it will send you into a rage/depression spiral for DAYS even if you're not pregnant/on your period/a woman/prone to depression/out of chocolate/having a case of the Mondays. And no matter how intrigued you are by my telling you not to watch it, trust me, unless you hate babies, you really, really don't want to watch it. Just poke yourself in the eye with something sharp and get on with your life. *snatches back title* Neener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I just watched the trailer and it looks like a joyous, heart-warming tale of the triumph of love and the human spirit!
    And, as we all know, trailers are never wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you, which is why I'm going to tackle you if you try to watch it. Also, have you noticed that parts of your blog layout are missing? It happened to my blog awhile ago, and I had to pick a different template, because the background that was supposed to show up behind the text was disappearing, thus making it difficult to read. They're showing up, then immediately disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's strange. It's not happening when I open my blog. Is it the purple background that is disappearing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, Babette's Feast is one of those movies I keep hearing about being eye-opening/genuine filmatic experience/whatever blahty-blah, that I (sadly) never particularly wanted to watch. Pat yourself on the back for describing it in such a way that now, for the first time in eight years, I actually do want to watch. There is a lot that needs to be said about reveling in the sensuous joys and beauties of the world that frankly both the rigid right and bleeding-heart left could benefit from. Just enjoy being human. It's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your drawing on your review is wonderful it really adds to the review

    ReplyDelete