Sunday, February 6, 2011

It Is More Often In The Wrong



I’m always a wee bit apprehensive about movies that end with the high note being the fact that there are fourteen practicing exorcists in the United States today.

“The Rite” takes on the flavor of a horror movie, oozing with special effects and haunting atmosphere… people coughing up nails, speaking in tongues, getting trampled by invisible red-eyed donkeys, and reading each other’s minds... however, it wants to be taken seriously, not as a horror movie, but as an exercise in demonic possession. It begins with a young embalmer named Michael (Colin O’Donoghue) who is studying to become a priest. When he expresses doubts with the faith, he is sent to the Vatican to take a course on exorcism- partly because his Father Superior believes this may be just what the doctor ordered to rekindle Michael’s piety, partly because there is apparently a lack of people with strong enough stomachs to handle the nasty business of satanic tenure.

Either way, Michael’s scholarship bucks will roll over into a student loan if he doesn’t scrape together enough sanctity to get himself a degree, so off he goes to Rome where he gets to know Father Lucas (Anthony Hopkins), an old-timey exorcist treating a pregnant teenager who is supposedly possessed by the devil. At first, it looks as if a Freudian diagnosis would be more suitable than anything once it becomes clear that almost every character’s relationship with their parents is far from flawless. But I doubt even Freud could explain the goings on once the CGI kicks into gear.

Anthony Hopkins is his usual scene-stealing British-grandfather-gone-bad self. He knows what to do with the material he is presented with. In “The Silence of the Lambs,” a legend was created because we could get inside the frightening and devious brain of Hannibal Lecter. In “The Rite,” his character is forgettable and far from scary because he is hidden behind an impenetrable wall of gory special effects. O'Donoghue pales (as most do) when placed alongside Hopkins. Unfortunately, he was no rainbow before Hopkins entered the picture and plays the priest-to-be with about as much charisma as one of the clientele back in his funereal days.

The concept of using fear of the devil to encourage spiritual devotion is not a new one. “The Rite” is based on this premise but doesn’t know if it wants to use it to sanctify or to scare. It tries to do both, but accomplishes neither and somewhere along the line goes from being a promising psychological thriller to a grimly bitter freak show that wants to take its subject matter seriously and doesn’t know how to with any level of subtlety. If the devil is in the details, then there is no sign of him in “The Rite.”

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, a disappointment, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I expected any better. Hopkins, I think, has gotten to a point in his life where he acts only for fun and my hat is off to him for it. He doesn't care about the quality of material anymore, he just does it because he enjoys it and has nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Thanks for saving me a spot in my rental queue, which is at a premium these days. If I want a "grimly bitter freak show", I need look no further than my own family gatherings at the holidays. I am all set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for saving my time and money from seeing this movie. The thought of exorcisms movies being made today, seems a bit of a stretch for entertainment...
    I do love Anthony Hopkins as an actor, and agree with your comment about him making movies for fun, not deep meaning.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. N.M.- What with the devilish children and all, I'd be more than happy to do poster art.

    L- You are right, it seems like the makers of "The Rite" wanted to make entertaining something that was a little too far off the radar of "entertaining".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to review Black Swan? I was sort of thinking of talking about it on my blog, but I didn't want to step on your much more seasoned movie reviewing toes. Not that anyone reads my blog except for you and like, four other people, ahahahahah. I laugh, so I don't drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. N.M. I am scared of Black Swan. No, scratch that, I am scared of Mila Kunis. I have not seen it, nor do I think that I will unless I muster up enough courage to cope with Mila Kunis, Winona Ryder, and Natalie Portman all on the same screen.
    They are all yours.

    ReplyDelete