Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nico Morley's Non-Recommendation: The Room



Watching “The Room” for the first (and hopefully last) time was a bit like listening to Bob Dylan on auto-tune. No, scratch that. It was like watching Kim Kardashian preform mouth-to-mouth on a blood hound. Or maybe it was like eating a sloppy joe while Judah Freelander massages my feet. Somehow I cannot put together an analogy that completely embodies the queasy, incoherent, weirdly-dark-yet-still-completely-tacky-and-unpleasant-hot-mess-of-a-cult-film that is “The Room”.

The plot (and I use that word loosely) is composed of a love triangle that contains about as much love as it does geometry. Lisa (Juliette Danielle) is engaged to a hot chocolate-drinking, football tossing, lump of muscle, wrinkles, and grease named Johnny (Tommy Wiseau) but is in love (or at least says repeatedly and menacingly that she is) with Johnny’s best friend Mark (Greg Sestero). (Or at least he says repeatedly and exasperatedly that that is what he is).

Tommy Wiseau (who also writes, directs and produces) delivers an incredible performance as Johnny. I was unaware that it was even possible to act while simultaneously asleep and in a coma.

Furthermore, his skill as a director calls for him to pay great attention to detail. For example, a scene in which Johnny, Mark, Johnny’s pseudo-adopted son/friend Denny, and another pal who just so happens to be a (much needed) psychiatrist don tuxedoes and then scamper out into a back alley to toss a football back and forth. Things such as contextual plot relevance, explanation, and, well, meaning, are obviously unimportant to the development of time fillers such as this. One would imagine that plenty of time could have been filled with coverage of topics such as Lisa’s mother’s breast cancer or the fact that Denny owes money to a drug dealer. But Tommy Wiseau’s imagination is obviously better than the rest of ours, as these matters are tossed aside without so much as the blink of an eye.

Instead, most of the movie takes place in Johnny and Lisa's living room where people wander in and out for no reason other than to exchange a few rusty bits of dialogue and in moments of levity, to engage in spontaneous pillow fights. Scenes like this are crudely glued together with completely irrelevant shots of "The Room's" location, San Fransisco.

Of course, this film is so bad, it has accumulated quite the cult following. And if my understanding of cinematic cult followings is correct, this is made up of people who can somehow relate to the characters in a way that the rest of us mainstream folk just can’t. Who enjoy listening to dialogue that sounds like it has been wrenched out of a pull-string Barbie doll. Who find refuge in a movie that, in being unconventional, somehow showcases unconventionality in a way that is relatable or thought-provoking. “Rocky Horror Picture Show” did this. “Pulp Fiction” did this. “A Clockwork Orange” did this. If “The Room” is unconventionality at its best (worst), it would make someone like Alex DeLarge want to immediately rush out and apply for a job as an insurance salesman.

It takes very little effort and/or intelligence to make a bad movie. It takes quite a bit to make a bad movie that means something.

16 comments:

  1. I'd be quite interested to see Kim Kardashian preform mouth-to-mouth on a blood hound. nevertheless, I'll make a mental note never to see this film xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't speak for the movie, but I have always enjoyed the satirical masterpiece that is "The Room Tribute". (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307)

    ReplyDelete
  3. R- How did I know?

    M.A.- "The Room Tribute" is almost exactly like "The Room" only with better acting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lump of muscles! Yes. Mmhmm, mmhmm. That's the phrase I was looking for.

    Anyway, husband and I found it oddly thrilling to see this review on your page. He's even more excited that we get to watch it AGAIN because I plan to do one of those "real time impression" type reviews. You know, the kind where you write, "kill me now, the irrelevant couple is trying to have sex in their living room."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also: What? No drawing of Tommy Wiseau naked?

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I can't wait to read it!!!!
    In case you missed the point, I am trying to save the world (or at least as many people as possible) from suffering the horrible eyeball execution that is Tommy Wiseau's body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to look up more information about this movie. I've got to see it!

    Not what you intended, but I just love horrid movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Tommy Wiseau is a shape-shifting alien, taking on human form, albeit very poorly. It explains everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thingy- to quote Nico Morley, don't say I didn't warn you.

    Nico- The inverse of that statement is also debatable.
    Just for the record, I lent the DVD to my dad who said that he stopped watching after Johnny left the florist carrying the bouquet upside down like "a dead opossum".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first paragraph! Haha. Bob Dylan on auto-tune, that would definitely be something.

    Well, i guess I'm not seeing this movie...
    And I hate A Clockwork Orange! It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Other possible analogies include:
    Rush Limbaugh tap dancing
    Russel Brand brushing his teeth
    Donald Trump plucking a chicken

    I guess I'll just have to write a review of "A Clockwork Orange" now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I am now intrigued by your father's limitations and I HAVE to know more. I can't believe he made it through two sex scenes, but the upside-down roses just TORE it for him.

    2. I tried to write the real-time impression review, but I think those things are better when you've never seen the movie before. I've seen it too many times - I've lost at least a third of my incredulity.

    I suppose we'll just have to be satisfied with me writing a regular review. And after you write a Black Swan review, try to stop being review twins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In all fairness, he claims to have washed his eyes out after seeing Tommy Wiseau (AKA "that putrid greaseball") naked.
    Yes, please do write a review, my external dark sided twin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hand-delivered: http://nicomorley.blogspot.com/2011/03/room.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. wait...Rocky Horror was supposed to mean something?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The way I see it, it was an allegory on Adam and Eve and how, if we don't accept ourselves for who we are... sins and all, we will be our own destroyer.

    Either that or it is just a big toilet paper flinging fun fest... which isn't all that bad and kind of proves my previous point :)

    ReplyDelete